RE: [DL] Ranting

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On
Behalf Of Dom Gallegos
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 4:46 AM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] Ranting

<<Snip>>

I know it was long, and thanks for puttin up with it. Does anyone ever have
nights like this? Wouldn't mind readin some war stories. Thanks.

<<Snip>>

Take heart Dom, despite your best efforts sometimes games go bad. Luckily,
as your power as a Marshal is damn near infinite you have several options.
When things get heavy around the table remind everybody that this is a
cooperative effort and their endless quibbling and rules-layering is cutting
into your groove. If they persist and you're not enjoying yourself call a
recess, hit the pause button and address the source of friction. More often
than not this'll do the trick, players can be reasoned with and sometimes
they need reminding that your job is not an easy one. If the problem
persists shut down the game immediately, take a deep breath so you don't
lose your cool. In situations like this getting angry and venting will only
inflame an already explosive situation. Repair to another room for a jam
session. Be honest and clear about your objections to their behavior
offering alternatives to the bad behavior as opposed to attacking in anger.
IF, Gawd forbid, this doesn't bring an end to the bickering my suggestion is
to shelve the game until such time that you can meet each posse member
privately to discuss solutions.

I wish you luck. As my players have come to learn I can only be pushed so
far and beligerant or abusive behavior will not be tolerated. In the past
players who have outstayed their welcome and repeatedly make my job as
Marshal difficult have been sent packing and told not to return. Thankfully
I haven't had to deal with this in quite some time. My present group is a
dream, they're respectful of one another and of me. They're not ones to
quibble the minutae of the game system and they let me tell the stories I
choose to tell.

Too bad the same can't be said about my D&D 3e group but that's the topic
for a rant of my one in another venue.

Happi trailz,

--
Joseph C. Wolf
Freelance designer-developer PEG & others