RE: [DL]Fate Chip Questions {Was Legend Chips}

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On
Behalf Of Marshal Mike
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 4:46 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL]Fate Chip Questions {Was Legend Chips}

I believe I've seen where people put up house rules of
how many chips a person can "horde."

Now, clear this up for me...
The beginning of the session, the players draw for
chips.  Now, at the end of the session, they can cash
in.  Can they choose to NOT cash in?  Do they then
keeps those chips and draw three more in the beginning
of the next session?

<<Snip>>

Yup, three chips at the beginning of each session. Remember a session is
roughly one act in a story equating to roughly 4 hours of real time. If you
go longer don't be afraid to break up one long session into two smaller
ones.

At the end of each chapter you're supposed to reaward any chips earned for
overcoming challenges and obstacles and meeting objectives. Any chips earned
through playing up hindrances should be awarded immediately as should any
others for fine roleplay, teamwork, etc. I usually allow PC's the
opportunity to convert chips just prior to beginning play the following
session BEFORE any chips are drawn from the pot.

If for some reason a posse member chooses not to cash in any or all of their
chips that's ok just remember the most chips they can have is 10 at any one
time. If the hero in question is hoarding chips he can't acquire any more
until some are used up. Many of the more competitive types believe so long
as they keep a kiester-load of chips handy they're invincible, not so. Just
remember if they're always spending chips on avoiding damage they won't have
any chips to convert into bounty points which means little or no character
improvement. Don't sweat it, find other ways for these chip-hungry cusses to
use their chips. Have 'em make Guts checks to counter creepy encounters. I
always play up the creep factor of situations and encounters long before the
walkin' dead shamble into view. Keep 'em on their toes with extraneous rolls
that are made to seem important.

It's a sad fact that some players come to view the Marshal in an adversarial
light. We can thank the computer game industry for fostering this belief. No
offense to those of you who are at present plumbing the depths of the
silicon dungeon but because of the "me first, screw you" mentality
encouraged by various online games gaming with strangers can be rough
experience. Some players, not all players mind you, port over this behavior
into table top venues and in these cases everybody stands to lose. Encourage
the spirit of cooperation in your players by challenging them to contribute
to the content of your saga. This way they have more invested than time.

Thanks for listenin', I realize it went long and meandered a bit but
hopefully you'll find something you can use to enrich your games.

Happi trailz,

--
Joseph C. Wolf
Freelance Game Designer