Re: [DL] Hexslinger vs Shootist

At 06:27 PM 11/19/2002, Dr. Nick wrote:
>So am I accurate in my description of a Hexslinger, as written in Law Dogs,
>as a more freelance version of a Ranger Shootist? My thinking is that not
>all of the non-traditional Hucksters work for the Rangers and the "Shootist"
>descriptor is used to specifically refer to the ones employed by the
>Rangers.

         OK, I haven't slept in 30 hours, so this may not make much sense.
Apologies for that in advance.

         My own personal take is that the stuff in Law Dogs is completely
superceded by the stuff in Lone Stars. If it did not add to the confusion,
I would've called it "The Shootist: The Revised Hexslinger (sic) from Law
Dogs." New campaigns should ignore the LD version entirely, and existing
campaigns should immediately upgrade to the stuff in LS. Henceforth, we
should all just pretend the stuff in LD never existed.

         I don't mean to slam LD, but the "hexslinger" name is WAY too
confusing, and it only gets more so under Revised Edition rules. Some truly
slipshod editing (IMHO) of some truly fine source material did the LD
version even more harm.

         In short: ignore LD. Go with LS. Unless you like LD better, in
which case, go with that.

         Must...have...sleep....

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Fellow, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_