Re: [DL] The Worldview

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 02:27  PM, Brom Clancy wrote:
> The Weird World Project:

I wish this project well, but I hope you can avoid the issues that have
kept Pinnacle from covering the rest of the world (Err, not including
shortage of staff, but that counts, too).

Basically, I hope it doesn't turn out like some other RPG efforts to
cover the world where many setting books have a radically different
tone that essentially might as well be another game.

As an example, back in the day I was lured into the fold of Palladium
books, and have a sizable chunk of the original After The Bomb series.
The first few tried to keep the setting deep in a very post-apocalyptic
feel, specifically the world so far after the cataclysm that new
cultures are sprouting up and moving on. Not bad, and one of
Palladium's better lines, even if the rules seem somewhat antiquated by
modern standards.

The setting books often took a radically different tone. Much of North
America remained the same, but ssome of the other areas had a very
different tone.

Shadowrun did it a bit better... I only have a few of their setting
books, one covering the UK and one Germany, but they seem to work a bit
better. They do a very good job of describing the setting from the
viewpoint of the 'generic' runners that were the core of the setting,
so while your Seattle sprawl street sam might have some problems
getting into the UK and would be a foreigner and treated as such, he
wouldn't be completely out of his genre.

Are these being looked at for use in existing games, as alternate
settings, or both? use in standard games may be difficult... Travel to
these locales could take weeks, and really removes the focus from the
American frontier, which is really pretty big when it comes down to
it...

Anyways, best of luck, but please keep in mind that Deadlands is a
'western' game so 'western' themes win. Please try to avoid adding
Arcane Backgrounds when the current ones work, if possible.

> Europe:
> The far north: (Norway, Viking)
Allowing a VERY rare shaman in these regions might be flavorful. The
main question is if the local spirits have the pact the Native American
shamans do, or are using other techniques.

> The southeast: (Return of Greek myths, Transylvania)
> The rest of it. (The Black forest, Grimm’s fairy
> tales, Prussians)

One specific concern is that I wouldn't want to see things get too
'happy' at any point. The tone of Deadlands is ultimately somewhat
grim, and I worry that some fairy tale critters could ruin it.

Admittedly, the origional version of the Grimm's Fairy Tales are
generally quite dark.

> British isles:
> England. (The empire, HG wells, Sherlock Holmes, Fu
> Manchu.)
> The rest of it (Return of the fair folk, revolution)

The recent (or is it upcoming?) Victorian Ages Vampire by the Pale
Puppy might be helpful here. I personally see the Back East books as
portraying the looser American version of the repressed English culture
of this time. The average posse should, i feel, feel uncomfortable
enough Back East that going to England is a fate worse than death.

Of course, HG Wells might be a great 'failed' Mad Scientist. (He hears
the voices, but writes about them instead of inventing.)

> Russia: (Baba yaga, Cossacks, Mongols, the Tsar)
This is another place where I worry the 'tone' of such adventures might
override the western themes. Russian folklore is pretty deep...

> The orient:
> China (boxing day, return of magic, celestial
> bureaucracy)

Isn't Boxing Day that thing they do in Canada? Do you mean the Boxer
rebellion, or am I jsut hopelessly ignorant? Both are equally possible,
and not exclusive...

There's some notes on China ad the asian conturies in the Great Maze,
as I remember. My personal opinion is that the magic never left these
areas, but has become easier to access with the reckoning, allowing
things like Kang;s Ogres to be much more common.

> India (Rebellion, return of magic, 100,000 gods)

I think the rebellion/colonial aspect here might be the best to
explore. I believe a Mr. Hellstromme spent some time over there... He's
not invovled in the Deadlands plot much, is he?

Also, the 'excuse' for a posse to go there could be being hired as
troubleshooters for a colonial estate or similar that is having trouble
with the workers...

> The Middle East:
> Ottoman empire: (1,001 Arabian nights)
> The holy land.

> Africa:
> Egypt: (mummies, pharos, the Nile, book of the dead.)
> The Dark Continent: (Tarzan, Allen Quatermain, lost
> civilization, the lost world, dinosaurs)

> Australia: (the outback, the dreamtime, kangaroos of
> death)

This is workable, I think. probably one of the reasons America seems to
have a friendly relationship with Australia is that it seems like a
weird reflection of the US at times. There was a great thread on here a
few months back about Australia as an alternate setting that was very
well done. A lot of the Western themes work 'down under' as well

> South America: (What the heck went on here in the
> late 1800’s?)

This is, I think, vaguely touched on in South of the Border. Basically,
lots of aztec mummies, intrigue with non-dead aztecs and such, and
similar weirdness. I believe there was, historically, a lot of
colonization and such going on.

> South pacific: (Easter island, pirates, sacrifices of
> virgins to volcanoes, Nemo, Atlantis)
> Special cultures:
> Jews: (Cabbalists, golems, exploding dredels,
> throwing stars of David)

No comment. Just no comment.

> Gypsy: (Tarot hucksters, crystal balls, curses)
> Secret societies: (World crime league, The Illuminati)

I think you're really drifting into the 'pulp' genre more than Western
here...

As usual, all disclaimers apply: I have nor right to tell you how to
play your game, etc.