Re: [DL] Doomtown, Gomorra, etc.

At 04:29 AM 11/22/2002, Roy wrote:
>I think you do Dead Presidents (and your writing) a disservice.

         DP isn't my writing, or at least enough of it in the proper
context for me to be credited for the end result.

>Which begs the question - where/how would you have chosen to start Dead
>Presidents?

         Unless you mean to say I was arguing on the basis of facts that
have yet to be established, I was not in fact "begging a question."
However, I will be more than happy to respond to your query.;-)

         The original outline for DP was not tied to a specific starting
point, to make it that much easier for a Marshal to use the adventure. (As
published, you can't use the adventure unless you play in, or railroad your
Posse to, Gomorra.)
         From that point, the Posse would be contacted by shadowy elements
of the Confederate government, asking them to investigate Pres. Davis' odd
behavior. The characters would then either be bribed or blackmailed into
taking the job.
         Once they came face to face with Davis, the Posse would either be
forced to kill him in self-defense, or be framed for his assassination. The
rest of the adventure was a white-knuckle chase/escape from Richmond,
leading to the Posse looking for ways to clear its name.

         That was where we were with it when Hal Mangold left as Line
Editor, and his successor John Goff did a great job of tightening up the
outline. We disagreed only on the Doomtown opening, but it was something I
could live with. Many bad things happened to DP after that, but that's all
I shall say about them.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Fellow, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_