[DL] New Prestige Class, The Memphis Belles

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:58:45 -0700, cnc80@shaw.ca wrote:

> Still hunting down a classic deadlands book to convert everything,

but

> until then, here's another prestige class to wet ya whistle.
>
> http://crpgn.mortality.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155
>
> As always, I am looking forward to feedback.

Well, here's some: I like this PrC, for the most part. Here's a few
comments you might want to take into consideration:

1. These ladies are actually known as the Memphis Belles - River o'
Blood, pages 25 & 91.

Yeah, I kinda already knew that, but thought it sounded cooler.  Oh well, back to the original name.

For the rest, we'll mosey on over to Marshall Territory...

Players, scram!

You've been warned....

We've got the noose ready to go <g>

Okay, here we go:

I'm really of two minds about this PrC. If you take this as a direct
translation from Classic DL, a Belle shouldn't have any magical ability
whatsoever:

Nor do they have any skill in the dark arts that many veteran Witches
practice. - RoB, pg. 91.

In this light, there's really no need for a PrC at all - just make the
baddest Gunslinger you can, with some emphasis on Charisma-based
skills.

That being said, I -do- like the idea of a slightly magical gunslinger.
Perhaps the close, long-term exposure to Mina Devlin's black magic has
given the Belles something that accounts for the spell-like abilities
they possess . They may see it as just their own natural skill,
however, and not as anything they have no control over. Here's a
slight tweaking of the PrC (unless otherwise stated, class features are
the same as the original concept):

I was actually trying to make a gunslinger/courtesan, using spells as a basis for some of their greater abilities, but come to think of it, I like the idea of a slightly glamored gunslinger.

"Hey Sugar, just because a gal's purty doesn't mean she can't handle a
shootin'; iron."
- Words said by one of these polite ladies, just before she shot down a
"troublemaker."

If the Wichita Witches are Mina Devlin's mailed fist, then the Memphis
Belles are her velvet glove. Not only are they Mina's personal guard,
they also are the ladies sent when a more subtle approach is required.
Despite this, they are very much ladies, and woe to the forward
gentleman who takes too many liberties with them.

They are known for their solid-black clothing and shiny Colt
Peacemakers. However, when attending local social functions they dress
in a manner that would make a eastern debutante proud. This combination
of gunslinging and social skills makes them extremely dangerous to both
life and reputation.

In addition, long-term exposure to Mina Devlin&#65533;s magic gives a Belle
some power of her own. A Memphis Belle can influence others in a way
that seems almost magical.

A Belle who leaves Black River's employ (or rather, attempts to - there
are no known instances of a Memphis Belle leaving Mina's service...
alive) can never advance further as a Belle, but does keep the
abilities she has gained.

- Slight change to explain the magical abilities. I figure anybody
who's going to become a Memphis Belle knows more than most people do
about Mina Devlin. Plus, I'm a grammar nut, okay?

Through my deadlands writings, I've been kinda trying to imitate a drawl, but I guess I better clean up the o'l writing <g>.

Additional Requirement:

Gender: Female

- this may seem obvious, but you never know with some posse members...

Agreed.

Changes to Class Skills:

- remove Scry and Spellcraft from the Belle's class skill list. They
aren't spellcasters; they have no real need of these skills. You can
also save a little space by just using Knowledge (all skills) instead
of listing several Knowledge skills along with Knowledge (all skills).

d'oh, serves me right for copying the base design over from the wichita witch, and then afterwards realizing that the belles have no spellcasting abilities.

Changes to Class Features:

<class features snipped>
You Call Yourself a Man (Ex):

- No change here, just reworded it to make the process a little clearer
and to show that this is an Exceptional ability.

Agreed, tweak this one as well.

Play m Like a Harmonica (Sp):

- Reworded for clarity and to indicate that this is a Spell-like
ability, and added the use of the Intimidate skill.

noted and check.

Wrapped Around Her Little Finger (Sp):
- Again, no change, just reworded for clarity and to indicate that this
is a spell-like ability. Did I mention I'm a grammar nut?

Check again

Hope this helps,

It does a lot, but I do have a request in the future.

When you do editing, remember to send the rebuttal as plain text by e-mail.

It makes it a tad easier to tweak (then again, it could be the forums tweaking my code, and changing it to ascii lines)..

BTW I really appreciate the help, much thanks amigo (or was that Mi-Go <g>).
Bruce