[DL] Battery

Hey all, need some help. A MS in my party is putting together a speaking
tube inside their train. Basically it is a speaking tube running between the
cars. Leather wrapping loose joints between the cars to allow for some give.
(I know, there's more that could be done. But this is the second MS this
guy's played and he NEVER invents anything. So we're just happy he's
actually trying something.)
As for a call box he has all the cars with individual buttons. Then a panic
button that alarms all cars. When I asked him how he planned to have the
bell ring he says, "Simple, with batteries." So I looked up the history of
batteries on the internet. I know they were invented earlier but how
available were they actually? The info I found doesn't look like they were
all that ready by 1876. If they are, no problem. He can run them by
batteries. But if they aren't, I'd like to challenge him to come up with
something else. Any help? Thanks.