Re: [DL] Newcomer - d20 Question

In a message dated 12/7/02 6:48:38 PM Central Standard Time, beaulieu@pipcom.com writes:

The Rifleman prestige class (from Way of the Gun) gets the Marksman feat at 1st level. They also get a 'coup de grace' (I believe that's the name) ability (at 5th level, I believe) that lets them inflict a coup de grace (killing shot) using their rifle after aiming for two full rounds. I'm sorry if I got this wrong, but doesn't the Marksman feat allow you to do just that after aiming for a single full round? I just can't see the advantage of the 'coup de grace' rilfeman ability when compared to the Marksman feat.

I believe the Marksman feat requires that the target be unaware of your presence/flat-footed? Thus, the ability to coup-de-grace _anybody_, even if they know you're there is a big improvement.  See _Quigley Dow Under_, for example.

Phil