Re: [DL] Deadlands Inspirations (WAS New Western comic (kinda OT) )

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 11:07  AM, Dan Sulin wrote:

>> I have to ask this, but am I the only one who DIDN'T like this book?
>
> I can't really say I liked or Disliked it.  But I have only been able
> to read a few chapters(I've had the book for 2 years).  I always find
> it really hard to get into Steven King books.  I don't like his
> writing style much.  Oh well I have some vacation comming up, maybe
> I'll try to start reading it again then.

I liked the setting... The concept of the using Wild West style pistol
duels as part of a more feudal-sounding fantasy society seemed like a
good idea... but the first novel basically used that as backdrop
instead of exploring it, which turned me off. The funny thing is I like
most of King's older supernatural horror, although I'm a bit less of a
fan of his psychological horror from the last decade or so.

BTW, i just found out that Dog Soldiers has been released in the US on
DVD... I've heard it's an excellent low-budget horror movie about a
modern British military squad getting eaten by werewolves, and may be a
good source of inspiration for HoE or classic Deadlands.