Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20021219-1

--- Patrick Jungbluth <pjungbluth@arcor.de> wrote:
> I dont think that is that big of a problem maybe would speed things up a
> bit
> if they know the rules inside out but it still takes an awesome amount
> of
> time to just go trou all those rolls and calculations when I roll for
> the
> npcs. "Ok that critter that is attacing you. <rolling hadfull of dices
> sorting them> and misses you. the other critter attacks you <again
> rolling
> the same dice staring a couple of seconds at them> hits you and does
> <another hand of die is rolled and sortet out> 12 pts of damage that is
> 2
> wounds in <rolling die> the left arm. Any chips? Fine then you loose
> also
> <agian rolling die> 5 wind too. ok the first 2 of the 7 critters are
> done.
> nest one ... and so on"
> thats why i would like to have a more simplified combat system not only
> for
> assigning damage to the mooks but also do deal damage out for the PCs.

I have two alternatives to recommend. First, try the suggestions people
have given (they've all been excellent, in my estimation) and /require/
your players to be well-versed in the rules for combat and see how the
next session or two goes. If you're going to play Classic Deadlands, this
is really your best option.

Second (and totally separate from the first), play Deadlands using the
Savage Worlds rules. It is a similar system at its heart, but removes a
lot of the dice rolling and is streamlined for speed. You'll have to wait
awhile for the rules to be available in the stores, but the Test Drive is
on the Pinnacle site right now. Even though I love the Savage Worlds
system, however, I won't be using it for Deadlands. My opinion is that
Deadlands is the finest RPG ever created, and I don't want to mess with it
too much.

But yeah, there's lots of dice rolling for each successful attack: to-hit,
location, damage, wind, stun. One tip is to make certain that each player
(and you) can spit out that sequence without a thought. If you can't, it
won't go quickly.

A last tip: roll the location die with the to-hit dice (as most characters
won't have d20's in their to-hit rolls). It saves more time than you
think.

HTH,

Jason