Re: [DL] d20 blessed and turn undead.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:48:37 -0500
 Paul-André Beaulieu <beaulieu@pipcom.com> wrote:
> About using miracles in public... I'm curious about that.
> I know that
> Shamans are pretty treated like unclean heathen dark
> magic types, and so are
> hucksters. What is the average person going to say when
> Father McDougall
> heals shot up people in the middle of the street? What
> about the Agency and
> the Rangers? I'm sure they don't take kindly to over
> displays of magical
> powers by *anyone. I can't wait to get my hands on Way of
> the Righteous.

Actually, as it was explained to me, as much as the people
of this era believed in witchcraft they also believed in
miracles as well.  They might be slightly surprised by the
immediate effects, but if Father McDougall called upon the
Lord, he was just a good man "teched by God."

I know of one huckster who (using sleight of hand) tried to
use this as a cover for his abilities.  He eventually
figured out the Marshall was imposing negative modifiers
whenever he called upon the Lord's name while casting a hex.

And I don't put too much negative modifiers on shamans
either (other than the typical prejudice).  I don't know how
it works in d20, but their powers don't really have an
obvious cause and effect relationship to the white man.

"Look at them injuns out there a dancin'!  And with such a
nasty storm a comin'.  Just goes to show what savages they
are."  ;-)

Clint