Re: [DL] [d20]

 --- Paul-André_Beaulieu <beaulieu@pipcom.com> wrote: > Hello... I have
a D20 question for the powers that be:

> The Dead Eye feat seems to have a bunch of ambiguous language
> associated with it.
>
> First, the general write-up (p52) mentions that you do additional
> damage when making an exceptional attack roll. Under 'benefits',
> though, it just says you get additional damage when taking the full
> attack action[1]. Where did the exceptional attack roll go?

I think that, in this case, "exceptional attack roll" does not mean
"critical hit."  It seems that this is the result of using the full
attack option - the character is concentrating on the attack, and Dead
Eye is simply an extension of that concentration.

> The write-up also strongly hints that the Feat applies to shooting.
> However, Braves also get that ability. What weapons can they use it
> with? Bows? Any thrown weapon? Guns are a given, of course, except
> that most Braves have to respect the Old Ways. No guns for you!

I would say that this applies to any ranged weapon.  Of course, anyone
who's going to use this with a short-range weapon such as the tomahawk
or throwing knife had better make sure they've got a
better-than-average chance of hitting their target :-)

> [1] That addresses another concern. Any gunslinger or brave good
> enough to get Deadeye (6th level or better) gets at least 2 attacks
> when doing the full attack action. Sure, I can see the rationale
> behind not allowing Deadeye on a partial attack action. You just
> don't have the time to make it deadly. However, I find it hard to
> swallow that as soon as they do a full attack they would be able to
> make at least 2 deadly shots.

Once you've got a good bead on your target, it's easier to maintain
your point of aim unless something seriously interferes with it.
Snapping off two or more shots in quick succession with high accuracy
might seem a little far-fetched, but it's not impossible.

Just my 2 cents,

Bruce

=====
"For God's sake, man, don't fire! I've a wife and family!"
- Thomas Spence's last words as President of the Republic of Manitoba, 1868