Re: [DL] Fudging

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 01:54  PM, John Billings wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:53:41AM -0500, Matthew DeForrest wrote:
>> At 04:13 PM 3/13/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Spolier space.

>> The second question has to do with the player in question.  Why is she
>> bored with being the only non-powered character?  What are the other
>> characters?  Is there an unbalance between her characters and the
>> others?
>
> There is - she tends to be overwhelmed, and doesn't really get to do a
> lot
> in combat - in the end, i'm a newbie marshall, and am still feeling me
> way
> and I don't want to lose a player cos she's bored this early into my
> career
> :-(   Perhaps i just need to make her life more exciting in another
> way.
>
>> I hope this helps.  Take care.
>
> it's certainally given me something to think about.

You're running classic Weird West, so this isn't as much of a problem
as I've seen it become in HoE.

First, remember that every Arcane background has /something/ that
doesn't like it. Hucksters and Mad Scientists get hunted by the agency
or Rangers, Blessed tend to be prime targets for a lot of the
occult-oriented black hats, etc.

The 'mundane' thus has an advantage in that they are unlikely to get
lynched because someone thinks they're a witch. Always a bonus.

Also, don't forget that those ABs take a LOT to develop. The bounty to
buy three hexes is more than it costs to become practically ungodly
with a pistol (6d10, or similar). and the gunslinger's guns only cause
her  head to pop off when something really, really bad happens.

Which makes me think of something else: Have you considered allowing a
Relic into your game that would be up the character's alley? It's a
sort of limited, specialized arcane ability, but it can make the
character very powerful in a specialized way.