Re: [DL] Fudging

I'm inclined to agree with this - the dice are for determining success or
failure in dangerous situations, not everyday goings on (unless, to use
Allan's cobbler example, you want to know how much money your character got
from making shoes during a few weeks of "downtime" or something.

I generally (though admittedly not without exception) avoid fudging dice
rolls and other random events in games.  I strongly agree with the notion
that whether you fudge or not as the Marshal, it has to be applied equally
to both sides - the posse and the npcs.

Personally speaking, and I am reasonably sure I said as much in an earlier
post on this topic, I don't much care for being in a game where the person
running things fudges rolls and such to help out my character.  It always
cheapens the experience for me - I prefer to earn my own cudos and take my
own lumps.  My players generally feel the same way (the one guy in the group
who hates getting pooched by random dice rolls does his best to minimalize
his involvement in situations where it can happen, which can be fun to watch
at times).

Different play groups will have different opinions of fudging, though,
depending on what they like getting out of a gaming experience.  One of the
bottom lines about fudging is not only being "fair" about it, but knowing
how your play group will react if you do (or don't).

Mac