Re: [DL] Hucksters (Random thoughts)

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 02:36  PM, Brom Clancy wrote:
> I always thought that hucksters should take more advantage of thier
> universal ability to understand Hoyle's code to publish messages for
> huckster's in other publications. Maybe a weekly update on world events
> from a huckster's point of view in the tomestone epitaph, or the true
> story behind dime novels sneaked into the novel its self. Or since
> holye's code was supposed to include the illustrations in his book,
> Hucksters might be able to pass on messages by the cards they play, or
> pictures of cards, "Dogs playing poker" might be a secret warning to
> other Hucksters to "beware the angular hounds". Decorations of poker
> cards in a saloon may serve as warning signs against the use of hexes
> in
> games, and even just plain old names for buinesses drawn from holye's
> book might serve as advetisments for speical serveces for the
> hexslinging
> gentleman.

While I think this is a good idea to a point, i think it can be
overused... It shouldn't be a huckster IRC channel, but more like a
slightly upgraded version of the hobo signs concept.

Also, it should be noted that 'breaking the code' may be a small chunk
of code breaking, and a lot of intuition (Hey, these are gamblers) and
figuring out... So each Huckster is, to a great degree, figuring out
the hexes on his own with guides and tips from Hoyles, nothing more.

But that's my interpretation.