Re: [DL] The Art of Spaghetti Western

| Maybe it's just me, but I could never get behind "Pale Rider". It feels
like a 'Hollywood-ized' version of |Clint's spaghetti westerns. I mean,
everything goes right for this character! He beds all the women in the
|movie, shows up everyone, kills all the bad guys... At least in "High
Plains Drifter", there's a reason for it. |Michael Moriarty's character is
the one working, trying to earn a living for his 'family', and then this guy
|rides into town and makes him look like a total wimp.
|
| Look at HeH, TOJW, TGTBATU and FFoD: Clint gets his butt kicked at least
once in each movie, |and gets caught off-guard at least a couple of times.
He isn't 'perfect' in those movies, but he sure is in |"Pale Rider". That's
what I dislike about it: he's the idealized, Hollywood Man With No Name.

Then you've obviously missed something very important in "Pale Rider" and
the most important reason why it's such a good Deadlands movie....
I'll give you a few hints...
    He appears out of nowhere when a little girl prays for help.
    He rides a pale horse...
    He just disappears when everything is done. He doesn't just ride off
into the sunset, he literally disappears.
    When Stockburn first comes into town he's told about the preacher and he
says that sounds like someone he knew, but that it couldn't be because he's
dead. Later on when he actually faces him, he looks surprised, and screams
out "It's you"...

Do a search on the internet, there's lots of talk about this movie, and even
a few interviews with Clint Eastwood where he talks about Pale Rider.

Eric