Re: [DL] The Good, The Dead, and The Supported

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 09:57  AM, David Sumpter wrote:

> Hello all, I just joined the list and this seems to be
> the hot topic of the moment.  From what I have been
> able to gather, Deadlands Classic (as the call it) is
> currently not being supported by Pinnacle, but with
> the new agreement with Mystic Eye, new material will
> be published for Classic and d20, all under Shane's
> supervision.  Is this correct?  I would think dual
> stated books, such as Great Weird North and Lone Stars
> would be easy enough to continue...

I think you're correct.

Now, does anyone know what the deal is with Pinnacle and Great White
Games? Is Pinnacle changing into GWG?

It's a bit confusing, I have to admit... We have three core systems for
Deadlands, plus a Savage Worlds conversion guide...

> As for not being supported in Gaming Shops, There are
> 2 stores that I can get to in my area (Northern
> Virginia) that do have some dusty back stock
> available.  I was actually able to get Rascals,
> Varmints, & Critters 2, and Back East: The South with
> in the past 2 weeks.  All that really needs to happen
> is to raise the awareness of the game, and get people
> to try it.  That's what got me hooked, I played once,
> and now am the full time Marshall for my group, and a
> part time Marshall with another.  The question is how.
>  Does your local shop allow you to put up notices of
> gamers looking for games?  I have never played in a
> store, it's always been a house, or when I was in
> college, dorm rooms and common areas.  What about your
> local library, as long as you behave.
> It's nice to know there is a list for for this game,
> thanks for the bandwidth
> David Sumpter
> Lord Throg.

Deadlands attracted a lot of one-timers when I was running in a store.
if I was running in a store today, I think I'd plan for that... Keep
all the adventures short and fudge 'meanwhiles' for characters. But I
ended up leaning towards a mroe epic plot instead, which requires some
sense of continuity.

Running at a store is good... But you have to runt he right kind of
adventures if you're recruiting. Where it not for my old FLGS closing,
i was planning on moving my Deadlands game around so I'd have a longish
once-a-month session for the regulars (invite only) and free up the
stores' monthly Midnight Madness game night for others as well as
allowing me to run other one-shots.