Re: [DL] Deadlands Reboot 2004 [Shane]

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 03:34 PM, Roger Bert wrote:

Greetings.
Ok, now you have us curious Shane. :P
Will you tell us more than what you said in the Lost Colony Companion book?
I was going to post this in the forum but it seems to have crashed.

What's the scoop? Sme of us don't get to go to GenCon!

I certainly hope that this reboot doesn't mean Deadlands will switch to
Savage Worlds rules and I am not necessarily looking to buy the same
material reshuffled into different splatbooks. I think that PEG had done a
wonderful job covering just about everything Weird West/Wasted West when it
comes to splatbooks. I think some more information on Lost Colony might
appeal to me but you seem to have pretty much ended everything in the Lost
Colony Companion adventure.

I agree that moving/rereleasing Deadlands as a SW setting wouldn't be right. There's a lot of potential to cover things in interesting ways, and i think reprints/rewrites would be valuable, if done properly.

I have picked up the Savage Worlds base book and it isn't very useful as a
miniatures game (since the most important rules about unit creation are
missing) and the system doesn't appeal to my local D&D gamers for

Did you grab the unit-creation PDF of the www.peginc.com site?

role-playing. Evernight, your first release for SW is basically a D&D
adventure book written with SW. This puzzles myself and other local gamers
in my area because D&D in our opinion is always best played with D&D rules.

from what I've read, Evernight is a bit different. Yes, it's a fantasy world with a lot of the same Tolkien rip-offs, but there's a lot of differences between that and the D&D even some of the better games I see.

EN is plot based. There's no real concept of 'adventurer' as a real profession, from what I've seen of the setting. A lot of D&D games have a highly improbably economy built around towns supporting adventures who regularly beat up orcs and other critters for cash. it's an odd raid/counter raid system as all of the orc's money comes from raiding caravans in the first place, so there's some sort of weird closed loop thing going. Oh, and a few orcs have pie...

A big 'feature' of D&D is the highly formalized systems for building magic items. Again, good games can get beyond this, but this can also encourage the concept of ala-carte magic item sales. Form what I've seen, Evernight makes magic items special! One thing that drew me to Deadlands, for example,w as the idea that all amgic items are unique and have their own story, and this seems to be a Pinnacle trademark (although I think EN, and SW in general, may have a few 'common' magical items.

Also, SW doesn't, to me, want to be played as an equipment-list management game like D&D often is. i ran a SW game this weekend and stated that I sue a slightly toned down version of the Feng Shui rules, especially in combat, for such things as having an item your character would have, or finding the rope, piece of furniture, or whatever needed for a stunt. For 'gritty' games this might need t be toned back, but it's a far cry from the stock equipment lists of D&D.

It is what everyone is used to and everyone knows how to play (mostly)
already. At this time I don't plan on picking up any more SW stuff because I
don't think I will be able to get anyone I know to play it. Gamers like what
they know.

This is, unfortunately, true. They just need to get convinced to try new things, and SW has an advantage here in that it's an easy system and it's great for one-shot games.

I hope to see future original Deadlands material and adventures especially
if it is not recycled. I have always liked the Weird West the best out of
the three settings and would like to hear more information on your planned
Deadlands Reboot.

I'm interested myself...