Re: [DL] Deadlands Reboot 2004 [Shane]

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 04:49 PM, David R Goecke wrote:
I checked out the web page. what this print on demand thing? Is it not
going to be available in stores at all?

Print on demand is a technology that the printing industry has been futzing about with for around a decade. The basic concept is that it uses assorted technologies to produce finished books to meet customer requests. There's a lot of variations on this idea, from in-store equipment to print disposables or such, self-publishing stuff, and higher-end tech (which looks like what Shane is doing for this.)

The upside is no inventory to stock for the seller, and a book can remain 'in print' pretty much indefinitely.

The downside is that it can be more expensive per-copy, and the quality can be poor for some variations. I've already seen a post mentioning that the cover art on the LC Companion can rub off, but I don't know if this is a single incident, which is entirely possible.

In general don't expect to see PoD books ins store. LC Companion will be web-order only, i believe.

whats it got in it? more gear? more monsters? more powers? more AB's?

We only know a few things so far. it's apparently Marshall oriented, not a player book.