[DL] Meta-games and the people that love them.

From Sitting Duck:
You really should encourage your players to try some
non-arcanes. I mean, a huckster, a mad scientist, a
blessed, and either a martial artist or another
blessed. You should probably also keep in mind that a
blessed would be a bit disapproving of a huckster who
consorts with demons.
I know, this is one of the first things that I need to hash out before the first dice begin to roll. If we all play our cards right, we may be able to do this without too much incident or "devil worshipping". But I don't want to curtail decent player to player interaction. The Blessed players idea of his char was basically along these lines: what would happen if Antonio Banderases Desperado turned to the Lord after too much killing and became a man of the cloth? He liked the idea of playing an ex-vigilante with no compuncition about killing the wicked and using what was necessary to fulfil his mission. If he sees it as necessary to work with a huckster, than that will be that. Then he may deal with the huckster once it's all said and done. Should make for a cool showdown.

Styre told me:

First, welcome to Deadlands, pardner!

Thanks, feels good to be here!!

Second, I'd be careful with that party. It's high powered, and honestly,
that MA idea is really sick to the point of obserdity, so I wouldn't
allow it.

MA? sick to the point of absurdity? please explain further...

Remember, this is deadlands. your in the AMERICAN WEST. Keep on them
about the Ferner thing - if you have a heavy accent in the south, think
of the response you get. Triple it and you get the Weird West. And
there's always someone with some Grudge ("Hey you limey brit! You
attacked Detroit you pig-screw'n son of a b*tch!", "Damn Chinamen and
their opium, planning to screw the delicate flower of white
womanhood....") If you want some hints to play characters like this, go
get one of the early M*A*S*H season DVD sets - Frank Burns is a perfect
basis. He's not brave, he's a horrid coward. He hugs his nationalism as
a way to protect his own status, not in a genuine care for his country.
When it is a burden, he shoves off, and when he's scared, he wraps a
flag around himself. He's a sniveling little weasel, and that's how I
think of most bigots. Plus, his horrid since of humor is really annoying.

Related to being Ferners, be careful with the meta gaming! It may seem
like an easy prospect for us today to think of going North to South, but
during the Civil War, it was an act of Treason. As well, there's no
straight idea on HOW to do it - Rail, Boat, Land, there's a lot of
options but all of them are dangerous. That's just one option. There's a
lot of American-only things they may not get being Foreign. PCs will
need help - present NPCs to help them deal with these kind of tricks,
but be subtle. Luke only met Han in a bar, probably the most important
hook-up in the history of the Galaxy. :-)
Oh, the meta-game will shape up fairly well. I have faith in my players not to go for broke on the power curve. I have played with most of them for a few years now. We like to act as much as we like to chuck dice, and a challange issued is rarely turned down as far as power-denial is concerned.

Good luck pardner!

10-Q

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com