Re: [DL] Meta-games and the people that love them.

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 02:42 AM, Tyler Childers wrote:
I know, this is one of the first things that I need to hash out before the first dice begin to roll. If we all play our cards right, we may be able to do this without too much incident or "devil worshipping". But I don't want to curtail decent player to player interaction. The Blessed players idea of his char was basically along these lines: what would happen if Antonio Banderases Desperado turned to the Lord after too much killing and became a man of the cloth? He liked the idea of playing an ex-vigilante with no compuncition about killing the wicked and using what was necessary to fulfil his mission. If he sees it as necessary to work with a huckster, than that will be that. Then he may deal with the huckster once it's all said and done. Should make for a cool showdown.

As long as the player understands that every kill is a Sinnin' roll... I'd also recommend using the recommended option from Fire and Brimstone where Sinnin' imposes a temporary blackout on miracles even if the roll is made. I don't have it handy, but it means that minor Sinnin' causes a temporary disconnect from the Powers That Be, but there's no permanent effects if the faith roll is made (which isn't too hard with the 5d12 faith I wouldn't be surprised to see).

Second, I'd be careful with that party. It's high powered, and honestly,
that MA idea is really sick to the point of obserdity, so I wouldn't
allow it.

MA? sick to the point of absurdity? please explain further...

MAs can outfight most brawler-types, and have powers to hit a lot of 'unhittable' enemies such as Smoke Parts for Iron.

Oh, the meta-game will shape up fairly well. I have faith in my players not to go for broke on the power curve. I have played with most of them for a few years now. We like to act as much as we like to chuck dice, and a challange issued is rarely turned down as far as power-denial is concerned.

We're just trying to be helpful... As stated, this is kind of like, say, a D&D game starting at 10th level or so where characters tend to have dozens of tricks up their sleeves. Fun, but potentially difficult to handle.