Re: [DL] New to the game....

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Reemull wrote:
Main thing I would say is that keep the supernatural part in the
background to begin with and slowly reveal it.  It works much better
that way.  I started my game off introducing them to town with some
very hum drum western plot lines, then introduced some weirdness
through indian magics (which they dismissed), then they found traces of
wierdness (i.e. mass exodus from Boot Hill) but little proof moving on
to some wierdness that they face but was deniable (vanished without
trace once killed/escaped) and so on.

I've been pondering how I'd run a campaign for one group I run with, and that's the tact I'm taking.

One, I think it helps set up the 'western' part of the game better if there's little or no horror the first couple of sessions when characters are actually developing in play.

Second, I don't want to overload the players too much. The basic rules allow a lot of stuff, and Arcane Backgrounds and other weirdness just add to it. For new players, i'd want to minimize the weirdness.

I generally go with the rule of not duplicating arcane backgrounds
(AB)in my posse - I also limit the 5pt edges in the same way.  This
<snip>

My limits I've had in mind for a six-person group for starter characters:
1 AB (unlimited from core)
1 AB (Blessed or Shaman only)

That's my one concern with Tyler's posse. Everyone is an Arcane Backgrounder, and that's going to be messy... Also, magic (in any form) tends to be a powerful security blanket when the weird stuff hits the fan. There;s some Huckster powers that can really short circuit an adventure, for example...

Of course, if the fact that the entire party is magically talented is used for the campaign, it might be interesting. This posse could get trashed if they are ever in a situation where they can't use their magic, however... Lack of characters concentrating on other skills is a definite minus. Also, if the posse ever gets the 'bad night' for dice rolling I've seeng roups get,t he show might end right there as multiple backlashes occur.