Re: [DL] "Mundane" Death

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 07:37 PM, Jim Burzelic wrote:
My other qualm is that the only game that seems to have easy death of
characters as acceptable by all involved parties is Call of Cthulhu.
Nobody raises a stink when their investigator is ripped in two by Deep
Ones but when their fresh-out-of-the-gates gunslinger steps toe-to-toe
with a Wendigo and they come out lunch, all manner of complaints are
voiced.
Sorry, I ranted again.

Perhaps my cross-section is some horridly stagnant and bizarre group of
people and no where near the truth but I have run many different games
across the eastern half of Wisconsin and even the best groups had some
doofus that ruined a wonderful posse.

I game with one group that's "Hardcore" and still rememebrs, fondly, their 'Ironman' D&D games of old (roll 3d6 for attributes, in order, take what you roll, live with it, or die). They've mellowed a bit, and the primary GM is a bit more easygoing nowadays, but it's still the type of game where you shouldn't grow too attached.

my other regular group, the one I ran Deadlands for quite a while for, is very low death-rate. i think my game had the highest. One reason i've cut back on the number of games with this group is the lack of a feeling of risk...

Anyway, I'm working on running Deadlands for the first group one day, if the primary GM feels like another break. I know that group won't mind making an occasional new character, and I'll try to set the death rate similar to our regular D&D games.

Anyway, my point is that all groups are different, and it's important to make sure everyone knows the expectation for both the GM and players of any particular game.