RE: [DL] Wives and stuff

> other speaker's forehead> "...why don't you tell us
> the part you aren't
> saying.  I think now would be a most opportune
> moment for that secret you
> have that was planned for the most inopportune
> moment.  And if you feel
> cocky at all, understand that my clip is loaded with
> alternating silver,
> ebony, and phosphorus rounds... all of which have
> been blessed by members of
> seven different religious denominations.  So, start
> talking."

This is exactly the sort of reason why I've
occasionally resorted to awarding some bounty based on
doing legwork even though they can in theory jump
straight through to the modules end.
More then a decade ago I ran a call of Cthullhu module
on halloween for one of my best players. The guy was
plenty slippery so it was always great to try to come
up with ways to trip him up. The module centered on a
bunch of misssing children. Eventually he figured out
who the guy was who was stealing the children and
broke into his home. He had a little child chained up
in a storm cellar and crying with the remains of other
little children all around. What he hadn't figured out
was that the little girl was the guys daughter who was
possessed by something really nasty, and that her
father kept her chained up so she didn't attack him
and was feeding her the other children. My bold hero
rescued the child only to have her tear his throat out
with her teeth and run off into the darkness to begin
a killing spree. She snuck into and out of a couple of
nurseries to kill and eat helpless babies before they
finally stopped her.
Now years later, my players have all heard this story
and treat every child like a piranah ready to strike.
The last time I tried an "evil child" module I knew
the players weren't going to buy it, so I made the
majority of the bounty hinge on discovering that the
children were monstrous BEFORE they blew them away.
I was proud of my players, as soon as they heard about
the church full of little children who had survived
the disaster that wiped out the town they were
grumbling "You KNOW we ought to kill the kids!"
However they were good girls and boys, did their
homework first and snagged every piece of
proof-of-evil bounty I left lying around for them
before opening up on the little tykes with their
gatling rifle and six guns.

Marshal_(Clint, your players sound like fun!)_Black