RE: [DL] RE: Savage Deadlands

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net] On Behalf Of PEGShane@aol.com
Sent:
Thursday, December 11, 2003 7:15 AM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net; Savage_Worlds@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DL] RE: Savage Deadlands

Well.. .what you perhaps don't understand is that Deadlands *is* considered a dead system by distributors and retailers. That doesn't mean there aren't thousands of people still playing it. By my ENORMOUS web sales there are obviously are. But no new products can be made and sold into the chain at any profit, and frankly, classic players have *everything* they need already (with the exception of a few plot line wrap ups). So if you're playing classic and want to keep doing so, more power to you! I'm not complaining--I wrote the dang thing after all and still love it! ;)

Deadlands as a *property* is VERY much alive out there though. In numerous surveys and interviews it constantly comes out in the top 5 gaming properties ever created (usually the top 3 after D&D and Vampire).

That means that demand for DL is strong, but demand for the old DL *game* is not. That has some to do with the system--it is intimidating for newbies--but also of course with Pinnacle's past. That's a strength and a weakness, by the way. Yes, we've stuggled, but we're still around. A *lot* of companies who came into the industry when we did are gone. And if I have a strength, it's perserverance, because *any* other company who's been through what I've been through would have folded years ago.

Terrific points, and ones well worth mentioning.  I, for one, am glad you’re doing it.  I’m very interested in the future of the Deadlands property (what with plans for a movie and a computer game and everything else besides Reloaded you’ve got on the burner).  As a somewhat new Deadlands fan (I only got into this a year ago) with very little money to burn and no great love of Savage Worlds, the only thing that’s really making me cringe is the prospect of completing my Classic collection through PDFs or aftermarket channels.  Neither of which is an optimum choice for me.  But I realize that no line can have perpetual reprints, so this is more my bad luck than anything you’ve done wrong.  :)

So once again, I understand the concern of you classic players, and will make available in some format the plot wrap-ups you're looking for. You don't need any new rules, gadgets, monsters, or NPC profiles--you have a life-time's worth already.

For new players, old players looking for the "coffee table book" of Deadlands, and the nearly 5000 Savage Worlds customers, this should be just what they're looking for if I do my job right.

So sit back, wait a while, and thumb through it when it comes out. If you don't like it, no one's got a Peacemaker to your head. ;)

Shanester

Place me firmly in the camp who’s interested in the “coffee table book.”  As far as I’m concerned, Classic Deadlands is complete.  With a few minor plot details and some missing expansion that’s not too hard to hammer out ourselves, such as a more detailed treatment of Lost Colony.  It brings me great joy to see the game line go out solid, and I think that Deadlands Reloaded is a fitting bookend to a truly award-winning game.

As a Classic fan who wants the “coffee table” edition, I plan to use it in a more sinister fashion:  As a gateway into Deadlands.  Classic can indeed be intimidating, but a Savage Deadlands book may be just the golden ticket I need to introduce new players to the joy that is the Deadlands continuum.  Fast, furious, and easy, it’s an excellent “Deadlands Light” that I can use at conventions or demo games at the friendly local game store.  Then I can pull the old whammy of, “Hey, you’re enjoying this so far, how about we add a little more detail?” and hook them right in.  Muahahahah!

So yeah, keep up the great work Shane.  I’ll be there with you as my pocketbook allows.  ;)

--
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.