Re: [DL] My Posse's Legal Problems (long)

>>Would they
>>try to convict a stranger to town on circumstantial >>evidence (even if
>>he lacked a motive).

Yoobetcha. N'awlins ain't called the Big Easy fer nuthin.

Seriously, I'd figure the police to be both corrupt and lazy. Laziness is potentially far more important here than the corruption level. After all, they can easily hang the crime on some passing strangers, and avoid all the work of a real investigation.

But on the corruption level, consider something. How rich and influential are the people who benefit from the posse taking the blame? If someone powerful wants the posse convicted, the police are likely to go along just to avoid trouble. BUT if the posse are clever enough to realize the cops are corrupt, maybe they can come up with a big enough bribe to send the investigation into different channels. Or at least buy themselves enough time to figure out who really did the murder. (they ARE innocent of murder, right? Your explanation didn't specifically say.)

About the robbery, well, maybe they need to stage a jail break....After all, they did do that.

John Gallagher