RE: [DL] Tale Tellin' [*Potential Spoilers*]

>Thats really screwed up. Sort of fits with the blurb in the Agency book.
But if
>that's the case why isn't the entire east coast a Deadland? I mean the fear
just
>keeps building right?

Well, it doesn't *lower*, but that doesn't mean it automatically rises.
Getting rid of the local monster does slow down the process a bit; it just
doesn't make it any better than it was before.

Also, it's not like the Agency and the Rangers are the only ones out there
fighting (kind of the point of posses without a member of one of those two
groups).

And as far as the entire east coast being a Deadland...  I presume you
haven't read HOE yet.  ;-)

>Also does this mean that if nobody is living in an area you can't tell the
tale even
>to the people living just outside the zone. What reason (besides their
fear) would
>they have to believe your outlandish claims?

Ah, big assumption there.  Who says they have to *believe*?

They don't have to acknowledge the story as true.  Heck, even the teller
doesn't have to acknowledge the story as true... but on that gut instinctual
level where Truth and Fear truly exist, they will know.

>Also in the case of bandits and such like the Red Lantern Gang could you
expose
>the truth or would they believe your lying since everybody knows their a
bunch of
>ghosts...

The Red Lantern Gang and other bandits aren't a function of the Reckoners,
so telling the tale of their capture or exposure isn't going to affect the
Fear Level anyway.

>I don't have a problem with the Agency/Ranger handicap, but not being able
>soften the blow is insane. Your going to get yourself lynched telling them
the
>whole truth.

Now, I never said "the whole truth."  ;-)

But you do have to tell the story of your posse defeating the monster.  If
you turn the Huckster's Soul Blast into a "shotgun blast," well, that isn't
going to change the fact that he stood there, fought a monster, and won.
Whereas, making the monster into a rabid wolf does change things.

After all, on that same gut instinctual level, those people *know* there was
a real monster out there.  Telling them you killed a rabid wolf leaves them
thinking the monster is still out there... and since they think it, it will
happen.

Clint Black

"You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Ghost Rock, son. Nothing else in the
world smells like that. I love the smell of ghost rock in the morning. You
know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over
I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Yank body. The
smell, you know that sulphurous smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."