Re: [HoE] Templars(was Templar Book)

In a message dated 9/23/98 4:11:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
deadlander@juno.com writes:

> Or he may be referring to the myth that the Templars sold their souls to
>  the devil to gain more temporal power.  I believe this was why the Church
>  ordered the order destroyed.

Thats what the Church *said*, but most people think the reason behind it was
to confiscate their property. The Templars had gotten quite rich during the
Crusades, and the Church was a little upset about this... the whole reason
behind the Crusades was to cut out the middle men in the middle east and lower
the prices for spices (there was also an overabundance of noblemen's sons with
nothing to do and no land to inherit).  Anyone who tells you it was fought
over religious reasons hasn't studied the subject that much.