RE: [HoE] Milrats/MREs(was: Longevity)

Jim said:
>They also use what are know as T-rations (MREs are C-rations, meaning
they
>can be eaten with absolutely no preparation, whereas T, B or A rations
>require some sort of kitchen and prep time/effort).

   Sorry, Jim.  But you can eat MREs right out of the package.
C-rations have been outdated since the late 70s.

 Only having eaten them
>once (including the infamous "cube of egg") I don't really know how
they're
>packaged/stored (perhaps someone with more recent military experience
can
>enlighten us).

   MREs are stored in plastic-like pouches (I say plastic-like because
they are combustable).  I have "more recent military experience", btw.

>The fruit was the better of those.  The dried pork/beef patty that had
the
>same warning was truly evil.

   You are probably thinking of feild rations designed to be prepared by
a cook to a large company.  Most of this kind of food is either
dehydrated or freeze-dried (like the fruit in MREs).
    MREs are pre-packaged, pre-sorted meals designed for one person.
They have high calorie content, and were designed so that only one need
to be eaten per day in order to survive.  In Army Ranger school, it is
required you can only eat one MRE a day.  And, FYI, the instructors at
Army Ranger school are called 'Black Hats'.  :)

-Damon Harper
 "But if it be a sin to covet honour,
  I am the most offending soul alive."
		-Shakespeare, King Henry V