Re: [HoE] Apocalypse Now! Questions and Spoilers

In a message dated 10/7/98 3:51:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
darious@darious.com writes:

> >2) The Doomsayer in the group has the EMP power. While the adventure claims
>  >that the bomb cannot be disarmed once set (as the group lacks the master
>  >code), why would the EMP power not work to deactivate the bomb's timer?
>  >Granted the power does require a roll, and could fail repeatedly, but why
>  >would the timer be immune to the effect? There's no way I'm going to let
my
>  >PCs get ahold of the working bomb or it's major components, but I don't
see
>  >a believable way out of this situation yet, as I'm sure my player will
> think
>  >to try this.
>  >Any thoughts?

Yes, two big thoughts.  First off, the electronics on the bomb are probably
shielded against EMP.  According to the EMP table, this still might allow a
roll, albeit with a high TN (11 to 13).  Why would they bother to shield the
electronics on a bomb, you ask?  Simple, so a small tactical nuke strike that
gets too close to the bomb might render it inoperable.

Second thought.  Even IF the EMP can knock out the electronics, then McMasters
has probably set up a Dead Man switch, or something similar.  Basically this
means that there are several "live" circuits that are rigged to trigger the
bomb in case the circuits are "opened".  Basically, if those circuits lose
power, the bomb goes kaboom.  So if your Doomsayer knocks out the circuits
with his EMP power... yeah, great, the electronics aren't working, but the
bomb still is... kaboom.