Re: [HoE] Re: Copyright

>> While we're on the subject, how did PEG pull off that little stunt
>> with major brand names, like McDonalds and Dr. Pepper, in HOE?  How do
>> they avoid gettin sued, by those same copyright laws?
>> Gus "Can't we all just get along" Bus
>
>You can't copyright a name, advertising slogan, or catchphrase.  You can
>trademark them, but that goes through the patents office and is an
>enitirely different beast.  Usually companies like it when their product
>is mentioned in places for the free advertising benifits.  As long as you
>don't slander.  I got this from the US code chapter 17, in case any of you
>want to check it.  I believe the stuff about names is section 106 or 112.

Hm. Evidently some names can be copywritten. When FRPG started putting out
the Doomtown card game, they wouldn't use the term Pinkerton, as it was a
copywritten (or was it trademarked?) term and they didn't want to risk
getting sued. Note the lack of the term Pinkerton in HOE (though, 'the
Agency' is mentioned).

Marshall Paddy

-Keeper of the Tradeposts of the Mantis
-Member of the Hida O-Ushi Fan Club
-President of the Yoritomo Yukue Fan Club
-L5R Code (CCG1.1b) YA ++  S  G+  R+!r  Y+  C+  E++  M  T--  D++  K++  U+++
-L5R Code (RPG1.1) GP PR +++ CC +  RP+ GT: !  P+  MN + S++ G+++  R+  Y+ C++
-http://www.geocities.com/area51/lair/1961/
-copernicus@brunnet.net