Re: [HoE] Re: Copyright

> While we're on the subject, how did PEG pull off that little stunt
> with major brand names, like McDonalds and Dr. Pepper, in HOE?  How do
> they avoid gettin sued, by those same copyright laws?
> Gus "Can't we all just get along" Bus

You can't copyright a name, advertising slogan, or catchphrase.  You can
trademark them, but that goes through the patents office and is an
enitirely different beast.  Usually companies like it when their product
is mentioned in places for the free advertising benifits.  As long as you
don't slander.  I got this from the US code chapter 17, in case any of you
want to check it.  I believe the stuff about names is section 106 or 112.