Re: Scramble boards

Kevin Walker <kwalker@xmission.com> writes:
> You argue convincingly that it would be difficult to implement
> graphical representations of all PBeM games in one fell swoop, but I
> don't think that's the issue.  It should be feasible to write modules
> for individual games in a piecemeal fashion.  A module should take as
> input the internal PBeM representation of the board, and emit a GIF or
> PNG representation of the board. For games that have a graphic option,
> players and subscribers could indicate whether they want to receive
> the graphic file attached to their email.  If some games never
> implement the graphics, that's not a problem.

Precisely.

Just to avoid some other more pressing work, I tried hacking together
some code that draws a backgammon board using the GD-library (which
can create PNGs).

This is pure test-of-concept code (so don't knock it :) ), but it
shows that a half-decent backgammon board can easily be drawn in a 4KB
PNG file.

It'd probably make a lot more aesthetical (if not bandwidth-friendly)
sense to have an artist draw an empty board, and put pieces on top of
that...

Perl code for drawing backgammon board

Backgammon board

--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                           "Woo hoo!?"