Re: question about consecutive moves

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Lyman Hurd wrote:

> The highly useful command
> game preview board move+
>
> allows preview of multiple commands at once.  Is there a command that will
> subsequently let one execute all the previewed commands with one email?

The submit/confirm commands will let you do that with a single move.

I suppose the reason why there is no confirm-like command for preview is
that the moves are for alternating players.  It wouldn't be very nice if I
could force my opponent to make a bunch of moves at any time.

> I found out that "multiple" followed by a separate "move" statement
> for each does not do it.  It would be most convenient if the
> submission command took the same subject line as the preview command
> to allow cut and paste.

The only time we could allow an arbitrary sequence of moves to be
submitted is at the beginning of the game, so that the opponent could
resign without penalty if he doesn't like it.  People have requested this
before for replaying games.

> I have read the commands page but wa not clear on this point.
>
> PS My game of choice is Zertz but I suspect the same situation may crop up
> in other games that have forced responses.

So in your case the moves your opponent makes are forced.  One person has
experimented with an (ifmoves) feature which would do what you want, but
the problem is complex enough that no one has implemented it on this
server.

~ John Williams