Re: [pbmserv] 2nd Annual Quoridor Tournament

barticus writes:

> A double round robin of 8 players is 14 games each.  That's a lot of games
> to be moving in each day.  Mismatched pool sizes is not a problem.  They do
> it in professional sports.
>
> Minimum pool size of 5 is a nice goal, but it means if 9 players sign up
> they'll compete in a single pool, and with 13, 14 or 19 players we'll have
> a pool of 7.  I think pools of 4 are okay with a double round robin.

Size 5 is a goal, but not a straitjacket. If 9 players sign up we can think of something else. For instance I could join the
tournament myself and make it 10. You're right, 8 players would be a lot and should also be avoided. Let's see how many entrants we
get and hope they can all be grouped into 5 or 6 player pools.

> Last time we had three rounds:  4 pools in the first round, 2 pools in the
> second round, and a final round with three players.  Are you looking to
> keep it to two rounds?

The goal was two rounds last year also, but there were so many ties in the first round that it didn't seem practical to put all the
winners into one pool for the second round.

Mark Thompson
userid markthomps