Re: [pbmserv] 2nd Annual Quoridor Tournament

'Twas 01:15 PM -0600 on Sunday 12/21/2003 when markthom wrote:
As a format, I think the feeling in the first tournament was that the round robins should have at least 5 players, since 4-player
rounds led to too many 3-way ties. So I'm thinking that I'll divide the players into rounds of no fewer than 5 players and no more
than, say, 8. (What if the number of players doesn't divide evenly? If there were, for instance, 17 players, would it be okay to
have two rounds of 6 and one of 5? Hopefully we'll get a nice, composite number of players.)

A double round robin of 8 players is 14 games each. That's a lot of games to be moving in each day. Mismatched pool sizes is not a problem. They do it in professional sports.

Minimum pool size of 5 is a nice goal, but it means if 9 players sign up they'll compete in a single pool, and with 13, 14 or 19 players we'll have a pool of 7. I think pools of 4 are okay with a double round robin.

Last time we had three rounds: 4 pools in the first round, 2 pools in the second round, and a final round with three players. Are you looking to keep it to two rounds?
--
RB |\ Randall Bart
aa |/ admin@RandallBart.com Home: 1-212-965-1786 Barticus@att.net