Re: [pbmserv] Email address trouble!

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 02:55:38AM -0500, Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

>   Ironically, my first broadcast regarding the troubles I've
> been having with pbmserv emails doesn't seem to have gotten
> through.  So here's the scoop again.
>
>   I have signed up to pbmserv using my real email address,
> ajo+pbmserv@andrew.cmu.edu.  But I often send email to
> pbmserv@gamerz.net from a dummy address, ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu.
> Even though the server should know my real address, it looks like
> it's been eating those mails without processing them, because I'm
> getting nags about old boards even though I've sent in moves on them
> long before.

One of the first anti-spam measures that gamerz uses is that the sending
domain must exist.  nospam.andrew.cmu.edu does not exist

    % host nospam.andrew.cmu.edu
    Host nospam.andrew.cmu.edu not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Therefore the mail server rejects the message at the SMTP level, long
before pbmserv ever sees the message.

And don't ask for that to get changed.  I'm not about to start lowering
the spam shields.  I have set up whitelisting for the game server,
in that any message that gets through the SMTP layer for pbmserv from
a user of pbmserv will now be accepted.

and pbmserv has your address as ajo+pbmserv@andrew.cmu.edu so that's ok.

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Ninja / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | Work like you don't need the money    www.gamerz.net/~rrognlie