Re: [pbmserv] Email address trouble!

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Richard Rognlie wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 02:55:38AM -0500, Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
> >
> >   I have signed up to pbmserv using my real email address,
> > ajo+pbmserv@andrew.cmu.edu.  But I often send email to
> > pbmserv@gamerz.net from a dummy address, ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu.
> > Even though the server should know my real address, it looks like
> > it's been eating those mails without processing them

> One of the first anti-spam measures that gamerz uses is that the sending
> domain must exist.  nospam.andrew.cmu.edu does not exist

> Therefore the mail server rejects the message at the SMTP level, long
> before pbmserv ever sees the message.
>
> And don't ask for that to get changed.

  Okay, I won't.  But I will point out that it seems really silly.
Why bother with the whole user-identification scheme involving passwords
and whatnot, if the system really only cares about the e-mail address in
the "From:" field?

  And a follow-up question: What if I send e-mail from
"ajo@andrew.cmu.edu" instead of "ajo+pbmserv@andrew.cmu.edu"?  Will it
still get eaten, or will it be okay?  And simply for curiosity's sake,
what if I send e-mail with "gobbledygook@google.com" in the "From:" field?

>  I'm not about to start lowering
> the spam shields.  I have set up whitelisting for the game server,
> in that any message that gets through the SMTP layer for pbmserv from
> a user of pbmserv will now be accepted.

  I don't know what that means.

-Arthur