[pbmserv] Go scoring

'Twas 15:17 +1200 on Wednesday 6/2/2004 when Bill Taylor wrote:
This is part of the ongoing world-wide dispute between proponents of "area"
rules - Chinese, Taiwanese, Kiwis, & all abstract gamers and computer types;
and the Japanese and (by default) the rest of the world, and lovers of
tradition who don't mind the absurdities inherent in the "territory" rules.

You may guess which I support.

I think of the Chinese scoring as territory only, while the Japanese scoring is territory minus stones used. I agree that the Japanese system is more complex to explain to both humans and machines. I recall teaching a friend to play, and telling her that some stones were dead. She wanted her opponent to prove it. We didn't have a good grounding in the formal explanation of how to resolve these situations, and even though her opponent and I agreed on a mathematically correct method for resolving it, it seemed to her that we were making up rules on the fly (which we were).

However, there is a beautiful subtlety to the Japanese scoring system, and a pettiness to the end play in the Chinese system which makes me prefer the Japanese system. You are right that in most cases the two differ by only one point.
--
RB |\ Randall Bart
aa |/ admin@RandallBart.com Home: 1-212-965-1786 Barticus@att.net