Re: [pbmserv] Interesting ethical issue: perpetual check

There is an interesting angle to this situation: recently, at the end
of a go game, this player started passing. There is no automatic end
to go games in this server, and one of the players is supposed to
concede and resign. An external arbiter had to intervene. But that was
different, as the rules of go cover the situation but the server does
not enforce the rules.

There was a second ethical issue to that particular case. The other player participated in a deception that removed what should have been my right to a starting handicap. In Go, a handicap of 1 to several stones is used to allow players of disparate strengths to play an "even" match. When I discovered the deception, I offered a draw as his honorable way out. He decided the win was more important than his own ethics and took the issue up with Richard directly.