Re: [pbmserv] New game: Marque

On Nov 28, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Cameron Browne wrote:

Hi,

A new game Marque has been added to the server. This is a connect- the-bases game with Go-like capture played on a fancy tessellation.

Official rules:   http://www.cameronius.com/games/marque/
PBeM help page:   http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/marque.html
Graphical web UI: http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/List.php?Marque

Needless to say, it's much nicer played via the grahical web interface!

Nice! I actually have a copy of an old board game called Kensington (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2197 ) that uses this tessellation, except that the 7 hexagons are not subdivided into triangles. In that game, pieces are actually played on the line vertices instead of in the spaces, like Go.

Aim: Players occupy bases (hexagonal areas labelled 'A'..'G') by having
three or more consecutive pieces within them, and win the game by forming a
path connecting three non-adjacent occupied bases. Both players may occupy a
base if both have three consecutive pieces within it.

Just to clarify: if the goal is to join three _non-adjacent_ bases, then the center base can never be used as part of a win, correct? In which case there is no value in occupying it (as opposed to merely passing through).

For example, the following board shows a game won by O who has occupied
bases A, E and F and connected them with a single group. X actually occupies
more bases (B, C, E and G) but has not connected three of them.

To my eyes, X *has* connected three of them: G, B, and E. But since E is adjacent to B and G, this does not count as a win. Is my understanding correct? If so, I think that last sentence should be reworded for clarity.

--
                Karl von Laudermann
                karlvonl@rcn.com