Re: [pbmserv] New game: Marque

Hi guys,

My understanding is that a stalemate is possible.  For instance the
black player might connect three bases including the center one and
form two eyes (as in go).  Could a rule be added that makes stalemates
impossible?  Some ideas:

Aha! There's an inherent deadlock resolution mechanism as passing is not allowed. If both players have deadlocking groups with two eyes then yes the game will temporarily be deadlocked, however they'll eventually be forced to fill in their surrounding territory... then more of their territory... until one player runs out of territory and must fill in one of their eyes, making that group vulnerable again. Gonnect uses this mechanism to good effect.

Notice that eyes are easier to form in Marque as many cells only have three neighbours to surround, not four.

Just to clarify: if the goal is to join three _non-adjacent_ bases,
then the center base can never be used as part of a win, correct? In
which case there is no value in occupying it (as opposed to merely
passing through).

Yes that's right. The central base will be a battleground that players strive to push through. However, if a temporary deadlock occurs in the centre then a winning connection can snake around the outside of the board.

To my eyes, X *has* connected three of them: G, B, and E. But since
E is adjacent to B and G, this does not count as a win. Is my
understanding correct? If so, I think that last sentence should be
reworded for clarity.

X has not won because base B is adjacent to E and E is adjacent to G; the three bases must be non-adjacent for a win, which means forming a Y between AEG or BCG.

My definition of "adjacent" is imprecise in this case sorry - I'll clarify that in the rules.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cameron