Re: [PyrNet-L] CGC and vicious dogs (was Debate)

I think you can get a description of the Canine Good Citizen test at the AKC
web site http://www.akc.org

This test does not "identify" a potentially vicious dog.  Instead, it tests
that the dog has a reasonable set of "manners" when confronted with several
situations - walking on-lead in a crowd, waiting with a stranger while the
owner goes out of sight (stranger holds leash), owner plays with dog and
then says "enough" and resumes control of dog, etc.  They aren't obedience
tests, they aren't exacting temperament tests (that's more likely to give
you an idea of how your dog behaves), etc.

On the other hand...most of these tests are conducted on-lead.  That makes a
huge difference.  Not too many reported attacks of dog jumping someone and
inflicting serious harm while owner stands holding the lead.  (sadly, I'm
probably wrong on that, though)

Most of the reported dog attacks are loose dogs, or dogs not on lead (makes
a difference...e.g. your dog bites a guest in your house, or your dog bites
you for some reason, rather than your dog escapes and bites someone while
dog is roaming at large)

I think in the case of our city's Pit Bull ban, the CGC test was a means of
letting most people keep their existing pets while prohibiting the
acquisition of new dogs.  Most dogs, with a bit of training, should be able
to pass the CGC.  It's set up to be passable by the majority of dogs -
primarily, it seems to focus the owner on the dog having reasonable
behaviour (not jumping up, etc.), but not requiring the training that goes
into a CD obedience title.

The Therapy Dog International test is a modified version of the CGC, where
the dog wallks through a crowd that includes people with walkers, crutches,
wheelchairs, IV stands....things a dog in a therapy/pet visitation
environment (hospital, retirement home, senior centre, school for the
handicapped, etc) would likely encounter.

There's more stuff online...I'm sure someone can provide some URLs for the
web sites that cover this in detail.

Warrick
warrickw@bond.net