Re: [PyrNet-L] Crufts 1998 - Results

B. Doll wrote:

> THANK YOU MR. DENYER FOR YOUR INFO ON THE CRUFTS RESULTS.
> YES. SINCE YOU WERE THE I WOULD LIKE SOME INCITE AS TO WHAT GOES ON.
> DO YOU BREED AND OR EXHIBIT PYRES?
> I'M IN AMAZEMENT AS TO HOW MANY ARE ENTERED. THOUGH THERE WERE FEW PYRES.
> HOW WAS THE NEWFOUNDLAND ENTRY? WERE YOU ABLE TO WATCH ?
> ALSO WHO WAS THE WINNERS.
> SINCERELY
> BARBIE

For those who already know me, please skip the next paragraph.

Pat and I do not breed or show pyrs - we are honoured to be able to
provide a warm and friendly home for a couple of rescues (Sasha and
Cottee). However, we are interested in the breed in general and want to
make sure that we improve our knowledge, hence subscribing to PyrNet-L!
We do not have the papers for our two girls and, quite apart from which,
part of the agreement when taking a 'rescue' is that we don't show or
breed them.

As for what goes on at Crufts - how much time do you have? The show is
run over 4 days, with the first day almost entirely dedicated to the
Working Group. While the classes are underway in the smaller rings other
events are taking place in the main arena (e.g. Kennel Club Junior
Organisation events). There are 5 halls containing a total of 32 class
rings, plus literally hundreds of trade stands and exhibits - everything
from Pedigree dog foods to 'doggy' car stickers, travelling rugs,
grooming aids, good citizen dog scheme... The list goes on and on. This
place is huge! If you have ever been to a large, international airport
(e.g. London Heathrow) then you will have a good idea of the scale of
this show. Actually, I have exaggerated a bit but it is pretty big and
the carparks spread over a massive area and the organisers laid on
special (free) shuttle buses to get people from their cars to the event.
We managed to get on one of these buses and were followed by a nice lady
with 3 (yes, three) Great Danes!!!

As you have asked about Newfoundlands, we did see a few but we were
(obviously) more interested in the Pyrs. According to the guidebook
there were 234 Newfoundlands entered by 153 owners. Best of Breed was CH
KARAZAN LOVE'S A RISKY BUSINESS (D) owned by Mrs P Colgan & Mrs C
Stuckey. Best Opposite Sex was won by CH CAYUGA ELLIEMAY AT KARAZAN
(IMP) owned by Mrs P M Colgan. Reserve Dog was EVANPARK ACE VENTURA
owned by Mr & Mrs H & J Parker. Reserve Bitch was WANITOPA MADAM
BUTTERFLY owned by Miss Ward & Mrs Leicester-Hope.

I hope that this answers some of your questions.

I have extracted the Pyr results from the Crufts WWW site, coz it was
very slow. If you want the full set of results please point a bowser
at..

<http://homepages.enterprise.net/barryd/crufts98.html>

Best wishes,

Barry Denyer