Re: [PyrNet-L] Shaving Pyrs

I am very new to this list and to the internet, but as a professional
groomer and a Pyr breeder and exhibitor, I feel I have to say something
about this subject.

I clipped one of my Pyrs years ago and swore I would never do it again.
When you clip the guard hair the coat gets dirty much easier,and the
undercoat grows faster than the guard hair so it has to be brushed even
more often to keep from matting. Of course if you are not going to keep
your dog brushed then clipping is better than a matted pyr. I have to
clip a lot of farm pyrs because their owners won't brush them and keep
the burs out. I try to talk them out of it but it is usually futile.

I live in central Texas where it is very hot and humid but my dogs blow
their coat and don't seem any hotter than my friends short haired dogs.
You have to use common sense when exercising these dogs. You don't work
them in the heat of the day. Early morning is best. We use a lot of fans
here.

I have to agree with Mr. Gentzel on this.

I am enjoying this list and the information in it. I can't believe I
found it.

Cindy Ward Nichols
Cloudance Great Pyrenees