[PyrNet-L] Rage Syndrome

I just spoke with a friend at length tonight on the telephone - they had to
put down their 20 month old male pyr last night because of Rage Syndrome.
He had an episode, then maybe several weeks later another, until he had
several at 2 week or so intervals & then this last week he had three in the
same week.  The last episode involved a 4 year old child, who luckily did
not get hurt, but came too close.  His symptoms were discussed with their
vet and an animal behavioralist and declared Rage Syndrome - for no
apparent reason, turning on his humans viciously, actually biting owner a
couple of times (both occurred this past week) and a kennel worker once
also.  Eyes glassy & afterward the dog did not seem to understand that
anything had happened.  Sometimes there was food nearby, sometimes not, and
usually it happened in his kennel or at a boarding kennel where the dog did
not have unlimited space.  It also happened not just when a person was
approaching the dog, but when the owner was walking away from the dog & the
dog attacked from the back.

It is really sad & scary!  I'm wondering, of those of you who have
experienced this or know of someone who has, do you recall what age the dog
 was when it happened?  This male was 20 months old, so I guess signs
started at 15-16 months of age.  This dog had colitis as a pup and then the
owners almost lost him due to severe allergic reactions also.  No guarantee
came with the dog - he was unwittingly purchased out of a van on it's way
north with a van load of pups headed towards pet shops.

I consoled the owners and referred them to the Rainbow Bridge.  BTW - the
animal behavioralist they spoke with has seen 6 cases of Rage Syndrome in
the last few years - all different breeds.  This sure sounds like a scary
one!!!

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Gold Hill, Oregon