Re: [PyrNet-L] BEHAVOIR: 3 Sticky Wickets

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, judith diamond wrote:

> her. Jonah is 28 months old. In the last month or so, his rambunctious,
> romping with his beloved Lex,  has lessened,  just a bit. Lex has
> decided that Mommy should now pick up the slack. She frequently turns to
> me for entertainment. For the first time I feel inadequate as a Pyrenees
> parent. I do not know  what else I can do for her.  I'm willing to do
> whatever it takes, within some time constraints. It kinda' feels like
> being a dumb parent to a genius child. I suppose. LOL.  Please
> help?         PS. A behavior of Lexi, worth noting, is that she very
> often follows me around and stays with me. However, it seems not to be a
> neurotic behavior, like 'shadowing'. She seems to* need* to protect me.
> Perhaps because I am just a dumb parent

Sign yourselves up for an agility class.  The obedience lessons you've
taken should also complement the training necessary for agility.  If you
need to locate an agility instructor, ask your obedience instructor.  Or
you can set up some equipment in the back yard after reading an agility
book.

> <bg>.                              Sticky wicket # 2:  Jonah, the past 3
> month's is exhibiting behavior of being hand shy. Ot of nowhere this has
> come. It seem's that when my husband Lee, or I have something in our
> hand he will lower his head, and or turn away his head. He will also,
> bring his shoulder's down a bit. He too, seems to prepare himself to run
> if he had to. He suddenly, does not wish to take the best of treat
> reward's ( steak, & cheese)from our hand's. He tries to make me drop the
> food on the floor rather than give it to him. He actually, seems to
> cower, when the hand  is offering food.

I wouldn't know what to suggest unless I saw him.  Did you ask the
obedience instructor about this?  If so, what did he/she say could be the
problem?

Sticky wicket # 3:
> This is about both of them. On the first floor of our home, we have a
> few  sliding glass door's.  When Jonah & Lexi are outside and decide
> that it's time to go in they throw their weight onto the sliders to get
> Mommy's attention. Jonah, stands on his 2 hind legs while making
> formidable,  even, straight strokes on the glass.

That's interesting, Judith.  Summer has the opposite "problem".  She loves
going out in the yard and wouldn't mind being out there all day.

You could try placing something in front of the glass door to prevent them
from pressing against it.  Perhaps, use a *rubber* trash can.  As long as
it keeps them away from the glass.  Or you might stand off to the side of
the doorway so they can't see you and when they do reach the glass, give
them a verbal correction and repeat this until they no longer attempt to
press against the door.  We have glass doors but I choose to use the other
rear (wood) door of the house to let the dogs in and out.  You might
consider using another door made of wood or metal.  If you used that door
instead, they would grow accustomed to leaving and entering through that
doorway.  And best of all, the door won't get damaged should they continue
pushing against it.

Good luck.

David

"All relationships are a mirror of the relationship you have with
yourself." - Deepak Chopra