[PyrNet-L] Longevity of Pyrs

Dear Fellow Pyr Lovers,

Mea Cupla. My husband, whose undergraduate degree was math,
accused me of watching too many Figure Skating Competitions,
where they throw out the high and the low scores. And that
is how I came up with the longevity of my Pyrs. But including
my old boy and excluding the young accident, my average still
comes up to less than 9 years. But this includes the dogs I
lost to cancer and other diseases.

If you just want to count the ones who lived out their lives
with us, or had to be euthanized due to quality of life issues,
we are probably looking at 10 to 11 (I will not even attempt
the math ;-).)  But if a dog succumbs to a disease, such as
cancer, should not this included in the count? Or do we just
say that a healthy Pyr should live to age 12, provided he/she
doesn't get cancer, or bloat or...? Seems to me that eliminating
those who get sick and die prematurely skews the results.

And Joe, I can't agree with you more.

> Joe wrote:
>
> >I wish some of the dogs did not live as long as they do.  When they get so
> >old, some of them have a very poor quality of life and we get into the
> >impossible situation of trying to determine when the poor quality of life they
> >endure no longer is good for them.  I feel we alway error on the side of life.

But if you err on the side of life, you can change your mind later.
If you err the other way - its over.

There are times when it is not an issue and things are
crystal clear. Most times it is not. It is probably one
of the toughest things you have to do, and I don't envy
what you are facing right now.

Good luck, Joe.

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com