Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy wanted

>    Really wish we could try to be more accepting, encouraging, & understand-
> ing of each other & less snobbish & controlling.  I've been told I should not
> be able to pick out a puppy to raise myself from people I know (& thus be
> assured said pup is healthy & happy & has no history of abuse). I should HAVE
> to adopt a rescue pyr instead. Well,  this is the first pup I have picked out
> from a litter in my life & I am almost 44 yrs. old.
Janice,
 What you may be reading as snobbish and controlling MAY not
be that at all. There are many people on this list who have purchased
pyr's from small breeders, BYB or otherwise and have learned some
valuable lessons from the experience.  We all started somewhere in
becoming infatuated with this breed.  Some luckier than others.

In my case, I knew a little, but not enough, purchased my first girl
from a BYB, turned out I knew more about the breed than the breeder.<
Believe me, that was not much at the time VBG>.  When I started
having problems, I had to turn to reputable breeders, as the woman I
purchased my girl from could not help me. She just did not have the
knowledge, nor did she realize she should support the offspring of
her dogs.  I have experienced the gamut, from temperament to health
problems with my first pyr.  I got her from a breeder who's main goal
was NOT to improve the breed. She really did not know.

When taking a rescue dog, at least the dogs temperament has been
evaluated by very knowledgeable, experienced people.  True, the
health of the line may not be known, but the dog as been evaluated
 before it is ready for placement.

My second pyr was from a very reputable breeder who knows she has
adopted us both for life and expected as much. I can call her any
time for help, ideas and encouragement.

Without starting a  flame here, what you may perceive as controlling
may actually be care and concern from the wise on the list, in
helping you and others to make a educated choice.  To help prevent,
heartache, tears and sadness in the future.
Sincerely,

Judith
jsmiller@laplaza.org
Taos, New Mexico