Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy wanted

   Really wish we could try to be more accepting, encouraging, & understand-
ing of each other & less snobbish & controlling.  I've been told I should not
be able to pick out a puppy to raise myself from people I know (& thus be
assured said pup is healthy & happy & has no history of abuse). I should HAVE
to adopt a rescue pyr instead. Well,  this is the first pup I have picked out
from a litter in my life & I am almost 44 yrs. old. I have rescued 15 dogs,
25-30 cats,  2 livestock rescue animals & 100's of wildlife critters in my
life!!! Every other cat & dog I've had was a rescue pet. In the 10 mos. after
my last Newfoundland died I read ads for rescue pets every week in 5 different
papers in 5 different neighbouring counties. I NEVER saw an ad for a Great
Pyrenees or Newfoundland rescue dog. (Didn't get on-line until after we got
Albert, so wasn't aware of rescue sites until February.)  When a puppy mill
was raided in Eastern Washington state I applied to get one of the rescued
Golden Retrievers that so touched my heart & brought tears to my eyes. (See -
some of us here love Goldens, too!) Eventually I got a recorded message
saying they had all been placed. Plus it really is imperrative that I get a
young pup if I get a giant breed, as I have a disability & have to teach him
to walk well on a leash & carry a pack & can't have him pulling. Easier to
teach them right when young than unteach problems they have acquired once they
are very strong.
   Maybe the people writing these things have themselves never paid for a pyr
& always only take rescue pyrs and never ever breed their dogs & get them
neutered right away when pups before they ever have a litter - and IF THIS IS
THE CASE, then you are indeed PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH. That's great for
you! Also it means you are not being hypocritical. However, what's great for
you now, may not be right for everyone else.
   Let me for a moment play the devil's advocate here: IF I shouldn't be
allowed to buy a Pyr at a reasonable price because there are ones that need
rescuing. Then you must also agree that there are far more mixed breed dogs in
the world. Therefore should someone say that no purebred dogs should be
allowed to reproduce, as there are already enough dogs in the world that are
mixed breeds??? Similar logic! There are many lovable, loyal dogs that are
mixed breeds in the world. I know I've rescued many!!! It's my guess that many
who use same logic to make other point would not like someone telling you
that, though. I know I wouldn't. Now that I have Albert I can't picture my
life without him or another pyr like him!
   I guess I'm a bit of an idealist, but I really love these beautiful,
lovable sweeties & love to share with others who feel same way, no matter how
many dollars they spent or how many ribbons they win or which lines their dogs
hail from. I'd rather a new pyr owner have a big heart instead of a fat
pocketbook. I can be excited for you when you share these things, but I get
excited when someone shares cute anecdotes about their pyrs, too. The main
thing is to be responsible, loving owners. We should do what we can to help
the less fortunate (rescues, elderly with limited income & pets to care for,
etc.) & try to make the world a better place. I know I try to. We should reach
out to new pyr owners with words of encouragement, share our wisdom, and our
humorous stories as well  -  not act snobbish & put others down. Wish we'd try
to concentrate more on things we have in common instead of things that divide
us.
   I really feel I made the right choice for me at this time of my life.
Besides Albert picked me every bit as much as I picked him: I was hooked when
I picked him up, as I'd done with all the pups who were awake, and he was only
one to immediately snuggle under my chin and relax & we cuddled & snuggled and
he was the one for me! So in reality... it's all Albert's fault!!!!   :)
                                           Peace!                 Janice Vocke